Members heard from five top HR directors on our annual Power Players list; Matthew Brealey from Vodafone; David Fairhurst from McDonald's; Helen Giles from Broadway; Liane Hornsey from Google and David Smith, formerly of Asda.
The panellists were there to discuss their big HR issues and what they see as hot topics in the year ahead. Several themes emerged, all influenced (naturally) by the recession.
- Employee engagement - more crucial than ever during uncertain times
- Leadership visibility - explaining tough decisions
- Pay and bonuses - simultaneous focus on both short and long-term
- Total reward - emphasising the benefits employees enjoy
- People metrics - dig into the stats to show HR adds value
I'm sure the club's members took a lot away from the event and will be back in their organisations with a few useful pointers as to the way ahead.