KPMG has launched a new maternity and parenting package for its employees, as it predicts that it will become more difficult for carers of children to balance work and home demands in the future.
The professional services firm’s My Family Matters package includes:
- Cover for up to a maximum of 20 days’ emergency childcare costs
- Maximum allowance of 18 weeks full maternity pay extended to a greater number of staff (those with four years’ service or more)
- One-stop-shop website providing information and details on the full support available
- A mentoring site to bring together parents and new mothers
- Comfort rooms for pregnant women
- First aid classes available for parents with very young children
- Coaching and training workshops on legislation, parenthood and work-life balance issues
The company said more than a third of women at KPMG returning from maternity leave opt to work part-time. The vast majority of those women then have a second baby.
Rachel Campbell, head of people at KPMG, said: “The demands of modern society on women and carers of both sexes are only getting higher. That is why we are increasing our package of support. Maternity is of course a very special time, but it can create difficulties for both women and men with careers.”