As an HR person, you always had this difficult problem of managing latecomers. And many times you tried convincing yourself that some employees are too hard to change, no matter how you motivate them.Here are some points to stop late comings forever, with guaranteed results.
1. Track your employees with an accuracy of minutesThe first and foremost thing to do is to record employee in/out times accurately. As a human, it’s impossible for you to track an employee every time he comes in or goes out. You can automate this by using a time attendance device. If you don’t have one, buy a new one; it doesn’t cost much.
2. Attendance tracking, with an option for manual editingTime Attendance devices are very accurate in tracking your employees. But as a manager it should be possible for you to add, delete or edit data coming in from time attendance devices. Sometimes, one of your employees is late because he was on a client visit. Your time attendance device will indicate it as a late coming, but as a manager you want to change the data to include the fact.
3. Consolidate and analyze your findingsSo you had been tracking employees for some time; now, consolidate your findings. Create employee wise monthly or weekly reports on latecomers. Also create department wise reports on latecomers. Analyze how many hours were lost because of latecomers.
4. Present your findings to your employees and managementSend monthly attendance summary reports to each employee, at the end of every month. Let the employees know that they are being traced. Send department wise attendance reports to department managers.
5. Implement new company policiesIf your company doesn’t have good policies on late comings, create new policies. For eg. If an employee is late for more than three times a month, he loses salary for a day.
6. Motivate your employees. Find employee of the month.As you have accurate attendance data, find the employee with the best attendance record for the month. Display the information in your notice board, publish it in your internal website, and motivate other employees.
Just imagine doing all these manually; it’s nearly impossible. You really need a software that can automate all these. A good HR software can do the following for you: 1. Interprets data coming in from a time attendance devices 2. Allows manual editing of interpreted time attendance data 3. Generates consolidated employee, department wise reports 4. Sends consolidated reports to employees and management each month end. 5. Processes salary considering your attendance rules and company policies. 6. Generates attendance summary to find the employee of the month. Attend HRM is an HR software that can automate all these and much more. Click here to download a free version of Attend HRM, now!
Great tips Harjos, these will surely help stop late coming
and motivate employees. There are a lot of thing that can help you motivate
employees. I believe that in a simple acknowledgement can also help motivate
employees like saying "great job" and "nice work". With
this employees will think that all the effort and hard work that he/she has
done to the company does not come to waste because he/she has been appreciated.
This way employee’s are inspired and motivated to do even harder to work. You
don't need to spend money in order to motivate employees. At work one thing
only keep us motivated, it is when are company allows all unrelated to work
website such as social networking sites. However, our company constantly
monitors us employees on how we use the computer at work. They also implement AUP
(acceptable use policy) which allows the use of unrelated to work activities
during before and after work. It also helps employees to stay focus on work and
limit wasted time.
These things only will not let you to manage your personnel keep working with enthu. To keep employees motivated you have to give them a “pat on the back”
make them feel as if they are worth something other than a time card
punching in/out every day. Know your employees by name and be
considerate of them, calling them by name and/or giving a “Good morning”
goes a long way. I know that when you treat your employees with
kindness and respect you get more quility work and they are willing to
put more effort out on your behalf. I think it may work better
time and attendance tracking software
Totally agree with the above comment. Self worth makes a MASSIVE difference. employees don't want to be treated like kids and told well down for everything they do but a thank you or recognition for a good piece of work they did goes a long way.
Things like employee of the month are great schemes to tackle such issues however the prize has to be worth it - people are not going to be motivated with just a certificate or mention on the company website. Vouchers or even a few bottles of wine help to instil a bit of healthy competition in the workforce as they try to compete for employee of the month.
I really like and appreciate your article post. Fantastic.
Totally agree with you.Employee dont want to be treated like kids and told well down for everything they do for a good piece of work they did goes a long way.When u appreciate the one who is coming earlier by way of award during the annual Function the person who who is coming late will also be motivated for coming earlier.
Hello friend, I think this is a great post that will help all the new join's in HR. Late coming is really a big problem felt by many of the big organizations but I think you have defined the real measures to find a true solution. Thanks and I will try to make use it in my office and then definitely will post the results here.
© 2010 Reed Business Information Ltd.