The most popular method for communicating an eye care policy is currently still in the staff welcome pack – the method used by 47% of employers, according to new research by Specsavers Corporate Eyecare. But how does this tie in to employee awareness and what are the messages for employee benefits professionals?
Even in today’s technology-driven workplace, only 43% of employers use the intranet to communicate their eye care policy, and 35% send emails. Opting for more traditional methods, 32% put written information on notice boards and 29% make use of posters.
The research goes on to show that only 57% of HR decision makers believe ALL staff are aware of their eyecare policy, and 40% believe most staff are aware of their policy.
An analysis of the two results gives Employee Benefits professionals a good understanding of what works when communicating eye care benefits:
- 65% of businesses that communicate via their staff welcome pack say all of their staff are aware of their eye care policy.
- 64% of businesses that communicate via their staff intranet say all of their staff are aware of their eye care policy
- 60% of businesses that communicate with written information on noticeboards say all of their staff are aware of their eye care policy
- 60% of businesses that communicate via emails say all of their staff are aware of their eye care policy
- 57% of businesses that communicate with posters say all of their staff are aware of their eye care policy
Jim Lythgow, director of strategic alliances at Specsavers Corporate Eyecare, said: ‘The clear message is that communication makes a difference. Businesses that communicate their eye care policy will get the best value from it. Eye care can help towards improved health and wellbeing in the workplace, which in turns supports productivity and boosts morale. For the business to benefit, however, the employees need to be aware of the eye care available and the positive impact it can have on their health.’
Specsavers Corporate Eyecare has information posters that can be personalised and downloaded directly from the Specsavers website. The company regularly supports health and wellbeing fairs at clients’ sites, with corporate account managers attending to explain the benefits of eye care and to provide vision screening. Specsavers also provides an online management system for businesses to manage corporate eye care, to make the whole process simple and efficient for benefits managers. It enables eye care eVouchers to be emailed directly to each relevant member of staff, further supporting the communication process.