Decorating business fined over employee health risk

A decorating supplies firm has been fined after being found that it was failing to provide employees with hot water to wash their hands for years, despite its staff being at risk of contracting dermatitis.

Mike Wye and Associates, which produces natural building and decorating products in North Devon, failed to provide hot water over a period of four years despite workers using hydrated lime for the manufacture of lime putty.

Hydrated lime is a well-known irritant to both skin and eyes and can cause dermatitis.

The Health and Safety Executive launched a prosecution against the company, which pleaded guilty to three contraventions of the Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992 and was subsequently fined a total of £3,500 with £588 costs.

Comments are closed.