1. Body Mass Index (BMI) is
a) weight divided by height
b) weight (K) multiplied by height M2
c) weight (K) divided by height M2
d) weight2 (K) multiplied by height M
2. A normal BMI is
3. A BMI over 40 is regarded as
b) Morbid obesity
4. Which of the following is not a disease associated with obesity?
c) Cancer of the colon
d) Cancer of the breast
5. Fat in the neck leads to sleep apnoea and this increases the risk of
a) Occupational accidents
b) Cardiovascular disease
d) Work-related upper limb disorders
6. In the debate of genetics versus environment what has been found to be the greater prediction of weight?
a) Biological father
b) Biological mother
7. Which of the following occupational changes have contributed towards obesity?
a) A lack of workplace facilities
b) A decrease in heavy engineering
c) An increase in unemployment
d) Shorter working hours
8. In what strategic ways can an OHN help to reduce obesity?
a) Encourage workplace design with opportunities for exercise
b) Advise canteens and restaurants on healthy eating
c) Ensure workplace facilities require exercise to be reached
d) All of the above
9. Crash diets may cause
d) Gall stones
10. A satiety enhancer is a drug that
a) Absorbs fat
b) Makes you feel full and satisfied
c) Suppresses the appetite
d) Reduces fat
Answers and Feedback
It is worth having a practice at calculating BMIs so get your calculator and have a go with friends and family. Start with your own of course.
There are a number of theories about BMI so it is worth carrying out a literature search and finding out more about what they mean.
If you do not know much about sleep apnoea then carry out a literature search on the topic. Sleep loss can be the cause of many accidents and it is worth knowing more about if you are to help prevent accidents at work.
How much part do you or your department play in these three topic areas? Can you do more in influencing a healthy workplace? Discuss this with your colleagues and draw up a list of things you could do to help improve the situation.
10) b Spend some time finding out more about the drug regimes available. The companies listed in the text will give you more information.