In most of the surveys I’ve read on recruitment issues, HR directors are
prone to say that they would only re-hire about half of their staff if they had
the chance. These (supposedly) genuine appraisal comments are a clue to why
that might be the case.
• This employee has reached rock bottom and is starting to dig.
• His men would follow him anywhere, but only out of morbid curiosity.
• Works well when under constant supervision and cornered like a rat in a
• When she opens her mouth, it is only to change feet.
• He would be out of his depth in a car park puddle.
• This young lady has delusions of adequacy.
• He sets low personal standards and then consistently fails to achieve them.
• This employee is depriving a village somewhere of an idiot.
• This employee should go far, and the sooner she starts, the better.
• He doesn’t have ulcers, but he’s a carrier.
• He has a knack for making strangers immediately.
• Donated her brain to science before she finished using it.
• Has two brains: one is lost and the other is out looking for it.
• If you give him a penny for his thoughts, you’d get change.
• Some drink from the fountain of knowledge; he only gargled.