HR-specific and related courses: BA Hons in Human Resource Management; BA Hons in Business and HR Management; BA Hons in HR Management and Marketing; BA Hons in HR Management and Computing, BA Hons in HR Management and Law; BA Hons in HR Management and Psychology; Postgraduate Diploma in Personnel Management/Grad CIPD (part-time study); MA in Personnel and Development/Grad CIPD (full-time study); MSc International Business and Human Resource Management (full-time); MA Human Resource Management (by supported distance learning).
Founded: De Montfort University received university status in 1992, having been known as Leicester Polytechnic since 1969.
College CV: The Department of Human Resource Management at Leicester Business School, De Montfort University, is one of the largest HRM departments in the country. We have internationally renowned experts in the field, and offer a range of full-time, part-time and supported distance learning programmes.Our strengths include:
- Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD) Centre of Excellence status, one of only 11 in the UK
- ‘Excellent’ rating for teaching
The Department of HRM shares many of the goals and objectives of the CIPD, in particular:
- Maintaining the highest standards of teaching
- Publishing research that is of use to human resource and personnel practitioners
- Developing links with businesses locally and nationally
- Encouraging personal development and reflective thinking in the personnel/HR profession
- Established reputation in research
- High-profile consultancy provider in both the public and private sectors
Entry: For applicants for whom English is not their first language, an IELTS score of 6.5 or equivalent will also be required. Free English language tuition is available for international students both before and during the first year of all courses
Undergraduate single honours and joint honours degrees:
- Five GCSEs at grade C or above, including English and Mathematics (or equivalent)
- Minimum 240 Ucas tariff points, including at least two subjects at Advanced A2 or
- AVCE double award or any equivalent.
All applications are considered individually and all equivalent international qualifications are welcome, as are applications from mature students with alternative qualifications and/or work experience.
MA Human Resource Management (by supported distance learning)
- Applicants should hold a good Honours degree or overseas equivalent in a related field (such as HRM, business, management or psychology)
- Exceptionally candidates who do not meet the above requirements may be admitted when work, professional or other experience is taken into consideration
- Access to the 12 month “fast-track” is available to applicants who can demonstrate recent academic achievement in the field of HRM eg CIPD recognised Postgraduate Diploma in Personnel and Development or other postgraduate level study in which HRM was a significant component.
- Applications are invited from individuals who wish to study single modules prior to entering the full MA programme or for continuous professional development purposes.
- Corporate clients may wish to consider the MA HRM as a key component to their management development strategy for management teams or professional groups.
All applications are considered individually.
MA Personnel and Development/Grad CIPD (full-time study)
- Applicants will usually hold a good Honours degree or overseas equivalent, in any subject. No work experience or prior study in the area of HRM is required.
- Suitably qualified applicants will be invited to attend a personal interview with the Programme Leader (international students may be interviewed by telephone). During this process we will be looking for the motivation and ability to study at Masters level and commitment to a career in personnel management.
MSc International Business and Human Resource Management
- Applicants will usually hold a good Bachelors degree or overseas equivalent, in any subject. People management is often a popular career choice for graduates of subjects such as Psychology, English and the Arts.
- No work experience is required.
If you are seeking a specialist Masters degree with a focus on people management, you may also like to consider our MA Personnel and Development, which in addition offers Graduate Membership of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD), the leading professional qualification in the UK for HR professionals.
Postgraduate Diploma in Personnel Management/Grad CIPD (part-time study)
To be eligible to join the programme applicants should fulfil the following criteria:
Have attained an honours degree and currently be employed in an HR/Personnel (or related) role
Have attained at least 2 ‘A’ level passes (or equivalent) and have at least 12 months work experience in an HR/Personnel (or related) role, and currently be employed in a relevant role
Have completed a CIPD recognised Certificate in Personnel Practice (CPP) / Certificate in Training Practice (CTP) and have at least 12 months work experience in an HR/Personnel (or related) role, and currently be employed in a relevant role.
Star academics: Head of department is Tim Claydon. Staff are dedicated to delivering high quality teaching and author three nationally acclaimed HRM textbooks. Staff have established international reputations, are involved in research and teaching and hold visiting professorships at internationally renowned universities
Alumni: Please contact Alumni Association