Life Long Learning and Continuing Professional Development (CPD) are the
processes by which professionals, such as nurses, develop and improve their
There are many ways to address CPD: formally, through attending courses,
study days and workshops; or informally, through private study and reflection.
Reading articles in professional journals is a good way of keeping up-to-date
with what is going on in the field of practice, but reflecting and identifying
what you have learned is not always easy.
These questions are designed to help you to identify what you have learned
from studying the article. They will also help you to clarify what you can
apply to practice, what you did not understand and what you need to explore
1. What was the purpose of the Servqual study?
a) To brief management on the cost effectiveness of OH
b) To assess staff training needs
c) To obtain funding for redecorating the OH department
d) To explore the quality of service provided by OH
2. Which of the following in NOT one of the five aspects the Servqual
b) Cost effectiveness
3. Approximately how many people attended the OH department in the year
October 2001 to October 2002?
4. Which group were least satisfied with the OH service?
a) Admin and clerical
c) Ancillary staff
d) Student nurses
5. Which service aspects scored slightly higher satisfaction rates?
a) Attendees for immunisation and health screening
b) Management referral
d) Medical examination
6. What is being set up to improve staff morale?
a) A social club
b) Health surveillance in the workplace
c) 24-hour access to the service
d) A slimming club
7. How often are the nurse meetings?
8. How did they make the OH department more visually appealing?
a) Health education posters
b) New furniture
c) Moved to new premises
d) Re-carpeted and added plants
9. What was the response rate to the questionnaire?
a) 25 per cent
b) 31 per cent
c) 45 per cent
d) 60 per cent
10. Who are they planning to target next for their views?
a) Finance department
b) Laboratory staff
d) Social services
1) d – If the Servqual model is new to you, it may be
worth looking at some of the resources suggested and finding out more. 2) b
3) c 4) a – Have you ever carried out a similar study in your department?
If so, who were the least satisfied? Have you any idea how your department
rates regarding client satisfaction? 5) a – The scale used to classify
the ratings is called a Likert scale. Refresh you memory, or find out more
about this research scale, see the Resource Guide opposite. 6) b – Dream
on for all four! Taking OH to the workplace rather than keeping it in the
department will help to promote the appropriate use of the department. Consider
whether this is something you could undertake in your area of practice. 7) c
8) d – Just showing that the place is cared for is enough. So often when we
work in a place all the time, we fail to notice just how shabby it has become.
What can you do to improve your work area? Is it pleasing to others? 9) b –
Is this a good response rate to a postal questionnaire? What factors help to
improve the response rate on postal questionnaires? Carry out a literature
search to find out or refresh your knowledge. 10) c