Life Long Learning and Continuing Professional Development (CPD) are the
processes by which professionals, such as nurses, develop and improve their
There are many ways to address CPD: formally, through attending courses,
study days and workshops; or informally, through private study and reflection.
Reading articles in professional journals is a good way of keeping up-to-date
with what is going on in the field of practice, but reflecting and identifying
what you have learned is not always easy.
These questions are designed to help you to identify what you have learned
from studying the article. They will also help you to clarify what you can
apply to practice, what you did not understand and what you need to explore
1. In the education sector, what was the cause of the increase in
sickness absence referrals?
a) Mental stress
b) Personal stress
c) Workplace stress
d) Physical stress
2. Making rehabilitation available should be achieved by which year?
3. How many days are lost per annum from work-related causes?
a) 19 million
b) 18 million
c) 17 million
d) 16 million
4. Rehabilitation is the process of assisting the worker back into the
work environment in order to:
a) Help with sickness absence
b) Fulfil their capacity or potential
c) Fulfil their contractual role
d) Help prevent stress in the workplace
5. What should be established at the first meeting with occupational
b) The facts
c) Management’s position
d) Possible solutions
6. In stage 2, what items is the client asked to write down?
a) Management problems
c) Health issues
d) Important work issues
7. The role of the OHN in stage 3 is to:
a) See fair play
b) Act as the client’s advocate
c) Actively listen
d) Present the case
8. Which legislation is being adhered to with this model?
b) Management of Health and Safety at Work
d) Employment Protection Act
9. Keeping people in work is essential to the wealth of the:
d) OH department
10. What percentage of teachers take early retirement on the grounds of
1) c 2) d – Revisit your copy or obtain a copy of Securing Health
Together. With reference to ‘Rehabilitation, what is your OH department doing
toward achieving the targets?’ Make notes about what you think you could do to
help. 3) a – Explore www.statistics.gov.uk for sickness absence figures.
Discuss with your colleagues how this information can help you. 4) b –
Do you believe this is the definition of ‘rehabilitation’? Using the resources
list see if there are different definitions. 5) a 6) d 7) c – Refresh
your knowledge of listening skills and what is meant by ‘actively listening’.
8) b – However, all these pieces of legislation may be involved with
sickness absence, rehabilitation and employment. Ensure you know what role each
piece plays. 9) a 10) b – Explore the DfES website (www.dfes.gov.uk) for
its statistics on teachers and discuss with your colleagues why this may be so.