• Recognise that effective practices benefit both organisation and employees
• Acknowledge individuals work best when they achieve an appropriate balance between work and all other aspects of their lives
• Highlight joint responsibility to discuss workable solutions
• Develop appropriate policies and practical responses that meet specific needs or an organisation: fairness and consistency, valuing employees for their contribution to business, monitoring and evaluation
• Communicate commitment to work-life strategies
• Demonstrate leadership from top and encourage managers to lead by example.
Source: DfEE Creating a Work-Life Balance: A good practice guide for employers