This award recognises an HR professional or team that has added value to their organisation through an innovative, clever or determined solution, showing HR at its most creative and flexible. Entrants provided clear evidence of speed of reaction, thinking 'outside the box', clear communication, a sophisticated understanding of the business drivers and measurement of the benefits.
Awards judge: Nick Holley is director of the HR Centre of Excellence at Henley Management College. His background combines extensive experience as an Army officer and Merrill Lynch futures broker, along with 16 years in senior development roles at large global organisations. Holley has implemented large-scale organisational change, as well as leadership and people development schemes.
British Telecom Global Services
The team: Major Programmes Practice (MPP)
Number in team: 9 Number of staff the team is responsible for: 2,814
About the organisation
The Major Programmes Practice (MPP) provides a world-class team that enables BT Global Services to bid for and profitably deliver transformation programmes for government and non-government organisations.
To meet the growing need for management of major technology programmes in all sectors by establishing a new business dedicated to delivering complex large-scale programmes, bringing together people with appropriate high-level skills and experience.
What the organisation did
- Launched a talent management programme including 360-degree reviews, coaching and mentoring, workshops to build leadership skills, allowing candidates to participate in projects beyond the scope of their normal responsibilities
- Sponsored candidates for Cranford University's MSc in programme and project management
- Partnered with Oxford University's Said Business School to launch an MSc in major project management.
Benefits and achievements
- Achieved a retention rate of 100%
- Created a credible pool of leaders ready to succeed to senior roles in the organisation
- Created a pool of trained coaches and mentors to develop a coaching culture across the organisation
- Won buy-in from 100% of talent management participants
- Achieved 100% pass rate for BT MSc students – one finis