This new award recognises organisations that have undertaken a successful change programme resulting in clear improvements to the business. The judges looked for examples of HR's role in managing and embedding the change initiative, including communicating with others to help overcome resistance to change.
The Work Foundation
The team: HR
Number in team: 7 (central team), 27 (HR operations)
Number of staff the team responsible for: 15,000
About the organisation
BMI Healthcare is the acute private hospital division of General Healthcare Group and is the largest independent provider of private health care in the UK.
Following a change of ownership, BMI wished to introduce fundamental and rapid organisational change to aid company growth. But the firm's financial targets required the upgrade to be achieved while reducing fixed costs. There was limited business development expertise and little resources.
What the organisation did
- Appointed new HR director and core team of six
- Restructured the organisation over six months, which included creating 10 regions responsible for business development with new sales, HR and finance roles.
- Delivered communications programme
- Implemented teambuilding for new regional teams
- Acquired 11 new hospitals and staff.
Benefits and achievements
- Delivered 14% EBITDA growth and margin improvement of 1.1% between 2007-08
- Delivered 10% growth and further improvement of margin by