What course can I take in a year?

A Bachelor of Commerce, I graduated in 1991 in India and have since been
working mostly in IT recruitment. I now want to do a full-time course (not more
than a year) specialising in employee development, compensation and benefits
and appraisals or possibly in a broader HRM framework. Any suggestions? Also, I
am in London on a dependent visa (valid for the next two years) so would I be
treated as an international student or would I be treated as a resident?

Margaret Malpas, joint managing director, Malpas Flexible Learning

It would probably be sensible to take the CIPD Certificate In Personnel
Practice which can be achieved in a year or less if you decide to adopt a
flexible learning approach.

This qualification will provide a good introduction to the basic principles
of HR management and, if successful, will give you associate membership of CIPD
if you wish to broaden your skills and move away from specialist recruitment

Information about training providers is available from the CIPD website at

Jo Selby, associate director, EJ Human Resources

You need to identify exactly what it is that you want to achieve from a
12-month course and investigate what the options are at universities/colleges
near you which will meet your requirements.

To establish what status your two-year visa gives you, speak to the relevant
department at the Home Office initially. They should be able to tell you, or if
not certainly point you in the right direction.

For some ideas on where to study for HR qualifications, see our HR Academy
feature at www.personneltoday.com/careerguides

Comments are closed.