Finding the ideal job in HR can sometimes seem an overwhelming task Fiona Brady offers a checklist for the least stressful route to the right career move..
1. Explore all options within your current organisation first, are they going to be implementing her? If a re-structure were to happen what opportunities may come out of it? Too many walk away from uncertainty to miss opportunities of a life time to be given to an outsider with no internal credibility.
2. Improve relations whether you stay or go. Have you really blown it with your boss or could a conscious week of ego stroking and positive vibes put you back in the race.
3. No race to be won. Acknowledge and accept when there is no race for promotion to be won as it can be soul destroying to sit out the ten year sentence for good behaviour only to find out you could of achieved more in five?
4. Stick with what you really want, what you really really want and are good at? Complete your CPD log to visilise where you are going and where you want to be, putting pen to paper is often the first step in the process of committing to a personal objectives.
5. Contact old friends and colleagues to remind you of how good you are and easy to work with. Not only will you pick up knowledge it will refresh that flagging self esteem.
6. Start with the end in mind if you want to be a HR Manager, research the role and check that it is the type of role and responsibilities you would enjoy and be good.
7. Wanting and hating. Dodging political pressure can reduce quality of life not improve it.
8. Align your CV as you would a proposal. Look on line prepare three CVs one for industry one for position and one generalist to please all palates.
9. Keep it factual explaining what you really want not only will it rule you out but will rule you in on the opportunities you are really interested in and eliminate those ones for dire emergency.
10. Read the advert! Phone the agency to find out more it you think you can do it and have the experience prepare a list of five benefits on why you should be put forward highlighting them off the