Creating a distinct employer brand is now a top priority for most organisations. Employees these days are more creative, selective and empowered - choosing to build relationships with organisations that treat them as intelligent partners. Successful employers of choice work hard at creating an identity for themselves as accessible, flexible organisations. This award recognises employers that have made a major effort in this area. The judge looked for a clear explanation of how the employer brand was created and is being maintained.
The team - HR and organisational development
Number in team: 8
Number in HR function: 7
Number of employees HR is responsible for: 400
About the organisation
Voca (formerly Bacs) is one of the world's largest automated clearing houses, processing more than 4.5 billion automated payments. As Bacs, it was known as the organisation that processed automated payments in the UK, including all direct debits and more than 90% of salaries.
In October 2004, Bacs rebranded as Voca. The challenge was to create a new employer brand that the 400 employees would be proud to work for.
What the organisation did
- The director of HR and organisational development was given responsibility for creating the new internal employer brand
- Held a two-day 'Bringing our brand to life' conference
- Embedded the idea of culture change with the chief executive and executive team
- Executive team members brought the brand to life by each championing one of the organisation's six new values
- Worked with middle managers so they could drive behavioural change.
Benefits and achievements
- Bacs was transformed from a not-for-profit infrastructure organisation to an agile business with a turnover of 75m
- Pre- and post-conference research showed increases in employee understanding of the new values
- Most recent employee surveys show that 83% of employees are clear about what they are expected to achieve, and that five of the six values feature in the top 15 list of "words to describe Voca".
Category judge John Smythe says: "This is an innovative approach to creating values and an associated employer brand for an emerging company. There has been substantial cultural change withou