Council fined over death of electrician

Doncaster Council was fined £400,000 last week after an
electrician died following lapses in health and safety procedures.

Michael Seiles, 31, of Wheatley, Doncaster, South Yorkshire
had been called to repair a heating unit in the council’s offices in 1997. He
died after touching live wires.

Council managers knew of the dangers but had not warned
electricians. The council pleaded guilty at Doncaster Crown Court to offences
under the Health and Safety Act and was fined £400,000, with £30,000 costs.

David Cotton, head of operations at the HSE, which
prosecuted the council, said, “I hope this fine will bring home to all
employers the high price of not properly discharging responsibilities of
ensuring the safety of people working on their property.”

A council spokesperson said, “Since this incident the local
authority has been working on improving safety procedures, and has placed
priority on electrical safety.”

Comments are closed.