of the largest Government employers in the North of England has issued health
warnings to staff after a deadly bacteria was found in drinking water.
Inland Revenue offices in Newcastle-upon-Tyne had to close two water dispensers
after traces of the Legionella bacteria – which can cause Legionnaires’ disease
– were found.
at the organisation, which employs more than 9,000 staff, first told employees
not to use the kitchens and then used the public address system to confirm that
Legionella had been discovered.
at the Inland Revenue have insisted that no staff are at risk and said the HSE
would be visiting the site later today.
Journal newspaper claimed the bug was identified during routine tests on
chillier units at the Inland Revenue’s Longbenton offices.