• Amanda Ravey has been appointed HR director of Whitbread Hotels, which is based in Luton, Bedfordshire. She moves from Whitbread plc where she held the role of compensation and benefits director since joining Whitbread in December 1998.
In her new position she will have responsibility for Marriott Hotels and Travel Inn.
• Nick Dufton has moved from being personnel and training manager at Leeds Castle, where he was responsible for training staff who attended to 500,000 visitors per year at banquets and business conferences. After five years at Leeds he has moved to the human resources manager post at esure, a new company backed by Halifax and steered by Peter Woods, who set up Direct Line insurance.
• Executive recruitment company Walton Churchill has appointed a new director, Mike Tobin. He has more than 25 years’ business experience and moves to Walton Churchill after three years as a senior consultant with an international search and selection business. His career includes four years in an international role with two years spent in Asia and a period in eastern Europe where he established franchise and retail operations.
• The HR department at Focus Do It All has expanded with the appointment of Shelley Thomas as recruitment manager and Amanda Hall as recruitment officer.
Thomas joins Focus Do It All from B&Q where she was acting regional HR manager for the western region. She began her career as a personnel and training manager at the Stockport branch of the Sainsbury’s Homebase chain.
Hall joined Focus Do It All from a position as personnel officer at Frayling Furniture, having been an HR administrator at Staffordshire Tableware since 1988.
• Janine Bailey has joined lifelong learning company eQuest One as a marketing manager. She was previously manager of the publication and communications department of the insurance service business unit at Lloyd’s of London. Equest One is new to the UK market and primarily provides lifelong learning by working in partnership with business, academic and broadcasting communities. At Lloyd’s Bailey was responsible for producing and editing internal and external communications material and promoted her department through media relations.