• Leeds and Holbeck Building Society has appointed Alison Webster as
personnel manager. She will lead a five-strong team, taking responsibility for
recruitment and selection, staff retention and employee relations. She will
also implement a staff appraisal system. Her previous job was HR adviser with
home shopping company Grattan.
• The former head of personnel at the British Film Institute has been given
the job of general manager at the Film Council, the body set up by the
Government to coordinate public funding of films. Ted Ulas will set up and run
the HR, buildings and operations side of the organisation. Before joining the
BFI he worked for the Staff College and in senior personnel positions in film
• A restructure at Oldham Metropolitan Borough Council has produced a
division of the chief executive’s department covering personnel, marketing and
communications. Kristina Turner, who was head of personnel, will take up the
reigns, becoming assistant chief executive. She has worked at the council for
four years and was previously assistant borough personnel officer at Tameside
• The Grosvenor House Hotel on London’s Park Lane has recruited Lesley Pritt
as training director. She moves from Forte UK’s Excelsior Hotel where she was
• Sarah Stewart, personnel officer at Oxford University, is moving to the
Guide Dogs for the Blind Association. She will take up the job of HR adviser
for the north of England on 1 March.
• Jack Thompson has been promoted to director of people and business
excellence at Birmingham Midshires, the West Midlands based financial services
company. Thompson, who was head of the business excellence team, will lead a
team of six, taking responsibility for the development, reward and recognition
of the company’s 2,300 staff. He joined Birmingham Midshires in 1998.
• Management consultancy Roffey Park has made three key appointments. Peter
Shepherd becomes development tutor, and Gary Miles will head the MBA programme.
Andy Smith, the new assistant director, will help Shepherd deliver the
institute’s residential development projects. Shepherd worked as a senior
education and training officer with the Arts Council for three years before
taking up the new role at Roffey. Miles joined Roffey Park in 1997, having
worked in HR for the Industrial Society and Reed Business Information. Smith
joins from the Civil Service College where he was senior lecturer.