The Rail, Maritime and Transport Workers’ Union (RMT) has called a halt to a three-day strike on the London Underground rail network, following marathon peace talks last night.
The industrial action involving 2,300 RMT workers was suspended after 30 hours, bringing respite to London’s underground network, as nine of its 12 lines had been affected.
Rail contractor Metronet went into administration in July after running out of funds. Members of RMT voted to strike after the union failed to get “unequivocal guarantees” over jobs and pension rights from the administrator.
A second 72-hour strike is still scheduled to start at the same time next Monday, 10 September however, further talks are scheduled for Friday to prevent any further industrial action.
“We are pleased the RMT has suspended its strike action,” Transport for London said in an e-mailed statement.
Prime minister Gordon Brown earlier called the strike “wholly unjustified” and urged strikers to get back to work.
Transport for London, which runs the capital’s public transport network, said there disruptions were still likely on underground lines today.