Uber to give drivers medical cover, sick pay and other benefits

Valentin Wolf / imageBROKER/REX/Shutterstock

Uber is to introduce numerous protections for its drivers through a new insurance scheme, including sick pay and maternity and paternity payments.

The ride-hailing up, which has been involved in court cases over its use of gig-economy drivers, said it will provide insurance cover at no extra cost to its for 150,000 drivers across Europe.

Provided in partnership with AXA, Uber’s Partner Protection scheme will cover drivers against major cost or reductions in income resulting from accidents or injuries that occur when they have passengers in their vehicle.

The scheme, which begins on 1 June, will also provide income protection for events that happen when they are not working for Uber, such as sickness, having a baby, or jury duty.

However, drivers have to meet strict criteria to be eligible for the “off trip” insurance. Passenger drivers have completed 150 trips in the previous eight weeks before they can claim sickness, maternity, paternity or jury duty pay, while a delivery driver on its food delivery service Uber Eats must have completed at least 30 deliveries in the previous eight weeks to qualify.

For sickness or injury leading to more than seven consecutive days of inability to work, Uber’s passenger service drivers would receive £75 per day for up to 15 days. Uber Eats drivers would receive £30 per day.

All drivers would be paid a £1,000 lump sum while on maternity or paternity leave, and a £500 lump sum for jury service.

If they are injured while on a job for Uber, they would receive medical cover paying out up to £7,500.

Fellow gig-economy delivery firm Deliveroo has also announced that it will begin offering its 35,000 cycle couriers free insurance to protect them and their earnings if they are involved in an accident. It includes cover for up to £7,500 of medical expenses and up to 75% of average gross income.

In October 2016, the Central London Employment Tribunal ruled that Uber drivers could not be classified as self-employed and were entitled to rights including holiday pay, the national minimum wage, and breaks. The decision was upheld by the Employment Appeal Tribunal in December last year.

Uber admitted that in the past it had “focused too much on growth and not enough on the people who made that growth possible” and wanted to give its drivers more security.

Pierre-Dimitri Gore-Coty, vice-president and head of operations EMEA at Uber, said: “Partner Protection is an important step in addressing some of the biggest concerns raised by our independent partners who rely on Uber. But the listening doesn’t stop here. We’ll continue to ensure that the voices of the drivers and couriers are heard as we take Uber forward together.”

Mick Rix, national officer at the GMB union, which represents Uber drivers, said the decision was “a major step in the right direction”.

However, the scheme was likened to a publicity stunt by the Independent Workers Union of Great Britain. James Farrar, chair of the union’s United Private Hire Drivers branch, said: “Sadly, this is once again a case of tinkering around the edges for a quick PR win, rather than dealing with the issue at hand.”

19 Responses to Uber to give drivers medical cover, sick pay and other benefits

HAMID BAKKALI 5 Jan 2019 at 4:17 pm #

How can I claimed sick pay from AXA please thanks

Rajesh Maharjan 9 Jan 2019 at 8:14 pm #

I would like to claim sick pay
      If you can please send me more details
      Many thanks.

Riz 17 Jan 2020 at 6:47 pm #

Please type in uber axa xl sick pay application form on google n look for form and full and apply online.. get sicknote from go too n submit online.

Ansar m shah 17 Jan 2020 at 9:50 pm #

I want to submit a sick note

abdirashid 25 Jul 2019 at 6:28 pm #

How I can I claim paternity pay?

Hassan 4 May 2020 at 10:44 am #

Hi I have neck injury while I’m working with Uber and I make a claim and nobody reply at me till now please if u can help me what to do

Abel 18 Apr 2019 at 10:07 pm #

How can I claim for uber maternity please send more about that please

Talat 10 Jun 2019 at 8:04 pm #

I claimed sick pay. In September 2018.
    When AXA realised a payment was due they stopped communicating and kept delaying the claim.
    Originally they required the police crime reference number. Then in May 2019 they insist I get a police report and send it to them.
    Uber is no help in the matter. They just keep repeating the same message; follow the link to make a claim.
    I asked to speak to a Uber AXA liaison but I’m still waiting.
    I think I have to go to the news and let reporters get an answer and results for me.

kasim 6 Mar 2020 at 11:23 am #

Its rubbish. I was sick for 9 days. I tried to work to see if i feel better and in these 9 days i worked 6 hours but still didnt feel better. They didnt give me any sick pay because they said i worked 6 hours during my sickness whereas in 9 days id be doing 60 hours of work.

Ali 28 Apr 2020 at 8:28 pm #

Hi guys I apply uber sick note and I had doctor isolate note but when I submit through online I am still waiting to response they keep saying wait 10 working days but nothing else what can I do who can I complain let me know guys thanks.

Ali 8 May 2020 at 12:08 am #

I think I uber Axa insurance are cheating campany along with uber the new each other to mislead the driver because axa will never bother ur claim and uber will say follow axa policy so the deliberate cheating inecent driver no to pay they are sick note I think they should be accountable with government those cheating gig campany.

Abdoul Baldé 30 May 2020 at 7:26 pm #

Uber is a joke
      I’ve make my claim over 2 months and I never heard from them
      Every time I contact them they reply with same response
      We need help to take against this people

Russell 8 May 2020 at 11:29 pm #

I made a claim for sick pay submitted the 2 sick note it’s been over 2 months nothing yet
    Where my friend doing delivery for Stuart he was sick Stuart paid him with in 2 weeks shame on Uber

Md Abdul Munim 22 May 2020 at 10:29 am #

Dear Sir
    This is Md Abdul Munim
    I made claim for sick pay submitted 2 sick note it’s been over two months but nothing yet.also I did call lots of time but no response.

Mohammed 9 Jun 2020 at 4:55 pm #

I have claim sick pay nearly 3 month and. There is no communication from AXA .Can I go to court against them

Muhammad Ayaz 12 Jun 2020 at 11:06 pm #

Hi, I had covid19 and hospitalised as well I had submitted my claim to them and sent them
    Hospital letters to show them I had covid, but after so many emails and chasing them regularly and phone to Uber help as well than I got another email from AXA and they asked doctors medical letter again, I had resubmitted 2 weeks ago but still waiting, all this process is now 2 months old and looks to me very tricky, if all we people get together who struggling and disregard by AXA than something can happen otherwise it’s difficult

Sam 27 Jun 2020 at 7:41 pm #

I have made a sickness claim on 5 June 2020 lower back pain
    I did not work for two weeks submit medicale certificate from my GP they reply on 25 june2020 by email saying “your application is declined because axa don’t cover spine injury or disorder ”
    I appeal the decision and wrote to them that I don’t have any spinal injury or disorder I don’t have a diagnosis about spinal injury it was only pain in my lower back and I lost 2weeks earnings they should consider it sickness
    Still waiting …….

yusuf ali 23 Oct 2020 at 3:34 am #

This is exactly what happened to me and, they said same thing to me I will appeal and write the but, did they reply to you?

MOHAMED 18 Sep 2020 at 4:18 pm #