What can I earn as an employment law specialist in the Home Counties?

Also known as HR adviser, HR manager (employment law) and employment law adviser.

What you need to succeed

A CIPD qualification is usually a requirement, as is at least five years’ HR experience, through which you will have gained an in-depth knowledge of employment law. Excellent communication skills are a must, along with experience of decision-making and dealing sensitively with contentious issues.

How to get into it

As is the case with most specialist HR roles, it is normal to have started in a generalist position before gaining direct experience in a specific area – in this case, legal issues. Those who have come from a legal background will generally enter at a more senior level, but the employer will specify which type of background they prefer. Larger employers normally have teams dedicated to providing generalist HR advice, and are more likely to seek an employment law specialist from a legal background.

What is involved

Job specifications will vary, but you can generally expect to be supporting managers and the business in general in all aspects of employment law.

This will include:

  • Ensuring all statutory requirements comply with current employment legislation.

  • Dealing with employees’ disciplinary and grievance issues.

  • Gathering evidence and producing reports on all legal matters.

  • Representing the organisation at all formal proceedings.

Prospects are…

Good, and they are getting better all the time. More and more organisations are beginning to recognise that having their own in-house specialists will reduce the cost of hiring external representatives.

By Hays Human Resources


Comments are closed.