London’s Night Tube faces months of disruption as a further staff walk-out begins today (7 January).
Members of the RMT union on the Victoria and Central lines are beginning their action from 8.30pm Friday evening until 8am Saturday, and from 8.30pm on any Saturday until 8am Sunday. The strike is set to occur every weekend until June.
The Night Tube was reintroduced on the Central and Victoria lines in November but was hit with delays after strike action.
Action by the RMT has also been threatened on other lines over new roster arrangements, which the union claims “would wreck the work-life balance of drivers”.
Transport for London, however, has stated that drivers would only be scheduled up to four night shift weekends per year and that it had guaranteed no job losses.
In May the decision was taken to merge the Night Tube workforce of about 200 drivers, all whom worked part-time, with the day Tube staff – meaning that all drivers could be required to work occasional Night Tube shifts.
Andy Lord, managing director of London Underground, said: “We’re disappointed that, once again, the RMT is continuing to push for strike action that is likely to cause further unnecessary disruption.
“We’re calling on the RMT to join us for talks so we can work together to resolve this dispute around roster changes, which means no job losses and greater flexibility for drivers.”
The union’s general secretary, Mick Lynch, said drivers had been left with no choice but to strike.
“If London Underground and the Mayor thought this fight for progressive and family-friendly working practices was going away they need to think again,” he said.
“It’s the failure of LU and Sadiq Khan to address the grievances at the heart of the dispute that leaves us no option but to confirm the programme of action goes ahead as planned.”
TfL says it is working towards reintroducing night services on the Jubilee, Northern and Piccadilly lines.
Latest HR job opportunities on Personnel Today