Category judge: Carl Gilleard, chief executive, Association of Graduate Recruiters (AGR) Before being appointed as AGR CEO in 1998, Gilleard spent nine years as the executive director for Metra Services, a national recruitment consultancy specialising in local government
The Cabinet Office
The team: Fast Stream European Recruitment Division and Civil Service Selection Board
No. in team: 32 No. in HR function: N/A No. of employees HR is responsible for: N/A
About the organisation
The Cabinet Office is the UK central government department that aims to make the functioning of government more effective. As well as supporting the prime minister in leading government and co-ordinating policy operations across departments, it is responsible for promoting standards of best practice in government and improving service delivery.
The Cabinet Office wanted to refresh the government's approach to graduate recruitment by:
- making job offers to the best candidates in the shortest possible time
- improving the employer brand and the candidate experience
- making assessment tools fair and conveying an impression of fairness
- targeting under-represented groups
- aligning processes with the e-government agenda, to put the recruitment process at the leading edge of service delivery.
What the organisation did
Worked with IT companies Parity and Cubiks to develop a three-stage online assessment:
- self-assessment, including practical tests for numerical and verbal reasoning
- Sifting via cognitive tests and a competency questionnaire
- Online work sample assessment exercise to identify the most suitable candidates.
Benefits and achievements
- Met all project deadlines and budget
- Reduced recruitment cycle by four months
- Candidate experience enhanced
- Greater representation of minority groups, with more candidates reaching the later stages of assessment.
Category judge Carl Gilleard says: "The popularity of Civil Service Fast Stream brings its own problems. The Cabinet Office addressed these head-on by creating a user-friendly online graduate recruitment process. The result? A sustainable state-of-the-art graduate selection system."
The team: Graduate Team