• Carol Cockcroft has been appointed personnel director at the British
Council, starting on 1 March. She moves from Shell, where she spent 13 years,
most recently as head of HR strategy and policy at Shell Europe Oil Products.
She will join the council as a member of the senior management strategy team.
The council works to promote a wider knowledge of the UK throughout the world.
• Call centre recruitment company Recall Recruitment has appointed Sharon
Halliday as its first HR director. She was previously a senior manager at the
company. Halliday has also been appointed to the board along with Jan Brooks,
head of volume recruitment service Frontline, and Mike Cant, head of search and
• Worldwide luxury hotel group Mandarin Oriental has recruited Dawn De
Morgan as group HR manager, reporting to group HR director Judy Varney. De
Morgan has six years experience in HR most recently as head of professional
development at KPMG, where she was responsible for management training in Hong
Kong and Asia.
• Robert Monks has replaced Sir Adrian Cadbury as president of Henley
Management College’s Centre for Board Effectiveness. Monks has served on the
board of 10 public companies, held governmental posts in America under
presidents Regan and Bush and is a principal of the Hermes/ Lens investment
fund, which uses shareholder rights to make changes in poorly performing
• Andrew Reid has been appointed training officer for equities and markets
at HSBC Investment Bank. He moves from Harrods where he spent four years as a
senior training consultant.
• Financial services software and consultancy supplier Eurobase Systems has
promoted Edwin Rogers to personnel director. Rogers has been with the company
since 1993, most recently as personnel manager.
• Expotel Hotel Reservations has appointed two people to its training and
development team. Julie McCann joins from Computercentre, where she was
training consultant. Daniel Hayward joins from Sainsbury’s Homebase where he
was a regional training officer.
• HR consultancy Watson Wyatt has made three appointments to its UK human
capital group. David Johnston has moved from the company’s Atlanta office to
lead the UK communication consulting practice, based in Reigate. Alan Crozier,
formerly of William M Mercer, and Jerry Edmondson, of Towers Perrin, both join