• Tony Cheesman, a former inspector from the Health and Safety Executive,
has joined West Anglia Training Association as health and safety consultant.
His job will be to advise local employers on health and safety training needs.
• Jeff Bakes joined Taylor Woodrow as group HR project manager at the end of
February. He will be responsible for overhauling HR at the company and
introducing a strategy which will pull together the construction, property and
homes divisions, covering the group’s 9,000 staff. He moves from
PricewaterhouseCoopers where he was principal consultant. Before joining PwC he
spent 17 years with British Gas where his last post was HR director for the
engineering projects group.
• The Co-operative Insurance Society in Manchester has recruited Sharon
Martin as principal employee relations adviser. She took up the post on 28
February after three years at the Government Office for the north-west, which
she joined as regional personnel manager, then moved after two years to
training and development manager. Before that she was an occupational
psychologist for the Employment Service.
• Vicki Sanderson has joined IT services company Compel as HR systems
consultant. She moved from flour miller Rank Hovis, where she spent
six-and-a-half years, most recently as HR systems controller.
• Another IT services company, Roan Technology, has taken on Jeremy Russon.
He has taken up the job of HR systems manager, after spending 18 months with
Prudential as HR consultant to the pensions group in Reading. Before that he
was HR officer for pharmaceuticals company Merck, Sharp and Dohme for two
• CfA, the national training organisation for administrators, has appointed
Gordon Beaumont as chairman. Beaumont was formerly chairman of the NTO
recognition panel. He is author of the 1996 Beaumont Report on the NVQ and SVQ
• Sito, the NTO for the security industry has appointed Charlotte Blach as
north of England manager with responsibility for developing training for
clients in her area. She was previously account manager for IT and multimedia
training company Intellect Management.
• UK Skills, the standards-setting body for skills competitions, has
appointed Graeme Hall as deputy chief executive. He was previously assistant
principal of Lambeth College. Glyn Diggins (right) has joined Shepherd Training
and Development Services as business development manager.