1. We achieve more together: geese always fly in formation. By flying in a V formation a flock has 71% greater range than if a bird flew solo.
2. Stay in formation: whenever a goose falls out of formation, if feels the drag and resistance of trying to fly alone, and quickly gets back into formation to take advantage of the lifting power of the bird in front.
3. Choose the right leader for the circumstances: when the lead goose gets tired it rotates back into formation and another goose flies at the point position.
4. Stand by your friends and colleagues: when a goose becomes ill or wounded, two geese move out of formation and follow it down to protect it. When the goose recovers the trio fly in formation to rejoin the flock.
5. Provide encouragement: the geese in formation honk from behind to encourage those up front to keep up their speed.